internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:32:31 -0500

At 4/10/2003 03:04 PM, you wrote:
Calvin --

i highly recommend coding all of your pages with vi or BBEdit. this
way, you can maintain the highest level of precision control over ever
page in your kingdom. not to mention the added side benefit of having
people fear you at parties.

Oh God, I actually fell for this until I got to the last sentence I was all set to fire off a missive about NOT wanting control, but wanting EASY. Then I got to the last sentence.

if we are talking bottom-basement GUI tools, then i would have to
recommend Composer which comes bundled free with both Netscrape and
Slowzilla. you can do a lot of completely basic things and even change
the background color of the pages. one killer feature of this tool is
that it is guaranteed to crash the instant you have created the
ultimate web page.

Those are pretty good at authoring individual pages but not managing site structure.

slightly up the food chain is DreamCleaver by MicroMedina. this is
some kooky California company that cannot copy-protect their software
for sh*t. you should be able to do about anything with this tool --
clicky the buttons and suddenly you've got an image on your page;
clicky another button and you've got three floating DIVs and a
CSS-driven sports page! the sky is truly the limit with DreamCleaver!!

Yeah, if I could get a copy for under $100. I might consider it.

FrontPage is good, but we all know you have to resign your soul to hell
to use it.

I'd characterize myself as slowly climbing out of purgatory. :-)

then there are always the communist tools of web oppression - blogger,
moveable type, etc, etc. using these tools is like saying "Hey, I
don't really give a crap. So what if my blog looks exactly like every
other one on the planet? At least I don't have to think -- and look, I
can just click on a web page to make a web page." that line of
thinking just never made sense to me.

And this is a problem because of what? Blasphmenous as it sounds, some of us actually care about the _content_ of the page more than the presentation.

i think the bold maneuver would be to go completely offline. yeah,
straight back to print! screw the web! it will be dead in a few years
anyway, so why waste time using it when you could already be jumping on
the next train? i think you should print out all your content on
flyers and hand them to passers-by at the local food mart or truck
refueling station. those people are high-brow content subscribers, so
you can be sure your audience will be impressed by such delivery
mechanisms.

Been there done that. I have been a member of many APAs (hard copy, snail-mail based form of mailing lists) for years before the net got big. And I also published my own hard copy 'zine for 3 years before I moved it online.

i'm just trying to think outside of the box, is all.
dave m.

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.cspowers.com/ true stories
"The revolution will not be televised." http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/