internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:04:36 -0400

Calvin --

i highly recommend coding all of your pages with vi or BBEdit. this way, you can maintain the highest level of precision control over ever page in your kingdom. not to mention the added side benefit of having people fear you at parties.

if we are talking bottom-basement GUI tools, then i would have to recommend Composer which comes bundled free with both Netscrape and Slowzilla. you can do a lot of completely basic things and even change the background color of the pages. one killer feature of this tool is that it is guaranteed to crash the instant you have created the ultimate web page.

slightly up the food chain is DreamCleaver by MicroMedina. this is some kooky California company that cannot copy-protect their software for sh*t. you should be able to do about anything with this tool -- clicky the buttons and suddenly you've got an image on your page; clicky another button and you've got three floating DIVs and a CSS-driven sports page! the sky is truly the limit with DreamCleaver!!

FrontPage is good, but we all know you have to resign your soul to hell to use it. there are some other mish-mash tools out there that you couldn't figure out how to use if your life depended on it (Stone Design, i'm looking at you). i wonder how in the world some of these companies stay in business.

then there are always the communist tools of web oppression - blogger, moveable type, etc, etc. using these tools is like saying "Hey, I don't really give a crap. So what if my blog looks exactly like every other one on the planet? At least I don't have to think -- and look, I can just click on a web page to make a web page." that line of thinking just never made sense to me.

i think the bold maneuver would be to go completely offline. yeah, straight back to print! screw the web! it will be dead in a few years anyway, so why waste time using it when you could already be jumping on the next train? i think you should print out all your content on flyers and hand them to passers-by at the local food mart or truck refueling station. those people are high-brow content subscribers, so you can be sure your audience will be impressed by such delivery mechanisms.

i'm just trying to think outside of the box, is all.
dave m.