internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: lisa linn <spacegrrl AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:43:25 -0400

on 4/10/03 7:16 PM, Joey Carr at joey AT metalab.unc.edu wrote:

> I have to admit to being one of those freaks that does it all with Emacs
> and a shell window. I started out using Netscape Composer back in the
> day, but since it had no capability of doing anything with JavaScript I
> gave it up and started doing things by hand. I think I was still using
> pico at that point. I sit down with a WYSIWYG and don't know where to
> begin.

i've felt the same way for a long time, but i was forced to get familiar
with dreamweaver mx so i could support my contribute users, and found that
it has some nice tools for site management and never gets in the way of my
coding when i'm not in WYSIWYG mode. it also has tag auto-completion when
you're working in the source, and does a nice job with syntax highlighting.
My pages are commonly html with embedded php code and it is smart enough to
highlight both types of code in the same page (which bbedit isn't, as far as
i can tell).

i'm not gonna buy it for myself to use at home but it's kind of nice to use
at work where i don't have to pay for it :)

--
lisa linn
http://www.AllPodsGoToRoswell.net/