internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Laughlin <jason AT jasonlaughlin.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:23:37 -0400

I've been a regular user of Homesite for a few years:
Best features I use regularly:
- Tag insight: when you start typing a tag, a drop down appears so you can click the tags and attributes you want (without having to remember them all and how they might vary from tag to tag).
- Global multiple file search and replace
- configurable shortcuts and toolbars
- custom tags/code snippets that can be inserted with a click around whatever you want
- Tag inspector to show the structure of the document and all open/close tag dependencies

Many of these functions of course are now available in plenty of other tools to varying degrees. I've been hunting down friendly Free/OS alternatives that provide similar convenience/functionality and I've been pleased with

JEdit http://www.jedit.org/
PHPEdit http://www.phpedit.net/

Jason