internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:04:40 -0500

on Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 05:54:46PM -0500, childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
wrote:
> As far as "handling" on ice/snow, it's really about the weight
> distribution. Rear wheel drive cars (with front-mount engines) have less
> of their total weight on the rear drive wheels, and thus break loose,
> skid & slide more easily, and generally have less drive-wheel traction
> in bad conditions.

Yeah, that's the other point ;) I always forget about the extra weight.

> It's the internal design equivalent of all those cinderblocks my dad
> used to throw in the bed of his pickup when snow was in the air. A
> competent driver with some weight in the back and decent tires can do
> just as well with rwd as fwd.

My mom worked with cement testers, so we always had cement cores instead
of cinder blocks :)

> And the concept of "powering out of a curve" on a gravel road just
> isn't as....fun... with fwd.

Boy, no doubt. And it's just so much more fun to swerve around a nice
icy parking lot with a 74 Chevy Nova than it's ever gonna be in a Jetta.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier