internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:34:36 -0500

on Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:21:37PM -0500, Bill Geschwind wrote:
> Maybe you guys need to give this form of "motor sport" a try...
>
> http://www.driftsession.com

I haven't seen anything quite that insane since high school, when Jimmy
Goodman used to take his Mustang II and set it up against the back wall
of the cinema and burn rubber until he blew his tires. ;) Man, I've
never seen so much smoke. (Jimmy worked at a tire store, so he got a lot
of free used tires.) He was also rumored to put violin strings in his
glasspacks, which sounded pretty cool.

OK, maybe the time we were recruited from Kiwanis to drive the Yugos in
a "Brewer Days" parade, and did Joie Chitwood style weaving in and out
stunts down N. Main St., and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to
pull what we called "brodies" on Eastern Avenue - speed up, then hit the
parking brake and see how far around you can turn the car without
tipping it over... :) The winner gets points both for top speed and how
far around you can turn the car after hitting the brake. Hee. It's a
wonder we weren't all killed.

NB: Yugos are /great/ go carts, but lousy cars, and have a much higher
center of gravity. Don't try this at home, and especially not with cars
you have been entrusted with by a gullible dealership in the name of a
local benevolent organization known more for its pancake breakfasts and
drunken revelry than for its deep pockets. Fortunately, the dealer
seemed to accept our story that the scraped mirror was like that when we
were given the cars.

OK, enough reminiscing - back to work.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier