internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:54:46 -0500

As far as "handling" on ice/snow, it's really about the weight
distribution. Rear wheel drive cars (with front-mount engines) have less
of their total weight on the rear drive wheels, and thus break loose,
skid & slide more easily, and generally have less drive-wheel traction
in bad conditions. Steve's description of "unpowered skis" in the front
is a good one. Front wheel drive cars generally have the weight of the
engine block directly over the driven axle, meaning the rear wheels just
become, well, somewhat extraneous to the whole operation - they'll go
wherever the pull of the weighted, steered and powered front wheels pull
them, more or less.

It's the internal design equivalent of all those cinderblocks my dad
used to throw in the bed of his pickup when snow was in the air. A
competent driver with some weight in the back and decent tires can do
just as well with rwd as fwd. And the concept of "powering out of a
curve" on a gravel road just isn't as....fun... with fwd.

JMO.

Actually, I've always been curious about that. I'm guessing rear wheel
drive handles better on the road? But you always hear that front wheel
drive handles a lot better on ice or through mud.

Regards,
Tom