internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question & home ownership [merged thread -- hee hee]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Gina Norman" <ginalist AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question & home ownership [merged thread -- hee hee]
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:00:07 -0500

Title: Message
GRRRRR.  Tried posting this all day at work and it never "took".  (Miss Pine.  Miss Pine terribly).

Here's what I did re: disposal:   http://home.nc.rr.com/lintqueen/disposal.html

However, what I remember of the important bits was:  get one that "matches" the existing one in terms of the size of the opening; turn off the power at the breaker (water + electrojuice = bad karma); and have a bucket at the ready to catch the goop/water that will come out when you take off the u-joint.

I would feel capable of tackling it myself, if mine went ka-put and Dad wasn't skedaddled for a visit, and I'm not the handiest of gals.

WRT SF/buying a home and its relative importance financially ... I bought mine a year out of grad school and it was one of the smartest things I've done.  It was scary and quite a feat to get them to give me the mortgage (had to letters of reference, etc. etc., 'cause I hadn't been working all that long) but in the end, it was terribly clever from a financial POV.  *And* (perhaps most importantly), it's help me feel like I have a place in this world.

I spent a few months working on site with a vendor in SF and at the time what struck me was how much _older_ I felt than the "kids" I was working with at the multi-media-company-that's-since-bit-the-dust.  We were all 28 plus-or-minus 2-3 years and demographically similar in terms of how we'd been brought up, etc.; however, they were all leading the multiple-roommates in a small apartment, wearing mostly thrift-store/retro mishmash/funk/punk clothes, clubbing 'till all hours and coming-in-to-work-at-11am-and-staying-until-8 lifestyle, while I had a "corporate job" with regular hours and a house full of furniture that mostly matched.  It was an odd contrast and I could see the appeal of the other way of life, but ended up being glad to be where I was.  The food is amazing there tho, and it's marvelously neat to be 1.5 hours from wine country in one direction and Monterrey in the other.   As it stands, I do miss the Bay area, so I tend to visit there at least once a year.

How's that for a bunch of unrelated nonsense?  I did vote today (yah me!) so now I'm allowed to bitch, right?  ;-)

-gina