internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Gina Norman" <gina.norman AT nortelnetworks.com>
  • To: "'internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:25:35 -0500

Title: Re: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question

Here's what I did in this case, Bill:  http://home.nc.rr.com/lintqueen/disposal.html

From what I remember (from watching Dad  ;-) , the only really tricky bit is that there's a "size" that you have to match to your existing unit, if you want things to go smoothly (think it's prolly the size of the sink drain?).  And cut the power at the circuit breaker before you mess with it:  water + electrojuice = bad karma

Make sure you have a bucket handy 'cause when you detach the U-joint thing there *will* be water in it.  Also make sure you have that slippery plumbers tape stuff (white and stretchy... a little less than a cm in width) handy... you'll need to wrap it around the thread end of the pipes before you reattach them.

Wow.  Was all that vague or what?!  I think you should be able to do it tho -- I'd do it now, having seen it done.

JOSEP - I had to subscribe with my Nortel address to post this thing, BUT I can't find anywhere on the list page (http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/internetworkers) that will let me get *no* mail at this address.  Nor, FWIW, could I find anywhere that would let me at the pop-mail-though-a-web-gateway address as a valid one to post from (I was using www.e-mailanywhere.com if that helps).

Sigh.  I miss Pine.

-gina

>On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:58:55 -0500 "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu> wrote.
>My disposal under my kitchen sink gave up over the weekend and needs to
>be replaced. Has anybody out in INW-land tried replacing one before? How
>much should a decent new one cost? Is there anything I should look for
>or watch out for in buying one, or is it safe to just go to Lowe's and
>pick up the first one I run across? How difficult would this be as a DIY
>project to install for somebody with no plumbing experience, or should
>this be left to a professional plumber? If I need to get this done by a
>plumber, how much would be a reasonable price be to have a plumber
>install one? If so, any recommendations on a plumber to do this? If this
>is something that can be attempted by a plumbing nooB, is there anything
>I would need to look out for in trying to install one?
>

>Any hints and tips would be appreciated.
>

>- Bill

Gina Norman
Senior Manager, Global Web Governance
ginanorm AT nortelnetworks.com