internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger D." <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: "'internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:15:08 -0500

I would dispose of the unit and put in normal pipes. No one should
be disposing of stuff down the drain. Disposers are outlawed in a
number of places I think since people clog up the sewers with food
and grease. Replacing the disposer unit with straight pipes should
be a DIY project for most people with a little help. Fly in the
ointment would be if a dishwasher waste pipe.
Disposals are usually rated by the power. You probably don't need
a 5 horsepower for normal duty so I would go with one that is lower
on the power range.
If you wanted to replace it yourself it isn't a huge problem. There
is a flange that the unit clips into under the sink. You need to reseat
the new flange with plumbers putty and tighten the flange to the bottom
of the sink. Then, you clip the disposer unit onto the flange and there
should be some type of fastener to secure it. (remember how you took the
old one off.) If you get the same model, then you may not have to
change the flange.
Then you connect back all the pipes. The dishwasher outlet should go
into the disposer (that is what that other black tube is...)
Remember to unplug the disposer before you start working on it. I
would hire a plumber, but be forewarned that they make more than
web developers. Hmmm...
Roger (in RTP,
heh, my spell checker wants to substitute Eschewing for Geschwind)