internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] yet another home repair question
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:15:07 -0500

on Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 02:58:55PM -0500, Bill Geschwind wrote:
> My disposal under my kitchen sink gave up over the weekend and needs to
> be replaced. Has anybody out in INW-land tried replacing one before? How
> much should a decent new one cost? Is there anything I should look for
> or watch out for in buying one, or is it safe to just go to Lowe's and
> pick up the first one I run across? How difficult would this be as a DIY
> project to install for somebody with no plumbing experience, or should
> this be left to a professional plumber? If I need to get this done by a
> plumber, how much would be a reasonable price be to have a plumber
> install one? If so, any recommendations on a plumber to do this? If this
> is something that can be attempted by a plumbing nooB, is there anything
> I would need to look out for in trying to install one?

On the plumbing side, they can be a bear to take out depending on how
complex your under-sink plumbing is - I had to remove one a few years
ago to rescue some item that had fallen inside, and it was a pain in
the butt. Expect to make a big mess and for it to take longer than you
thought, and involve the removal or at least the loosening of more of
the fittings that you expect.

On the electrical side (remember, these things have switches) you will
definitely want to be very careful if you're unfamiliar with electrical
work, both for the usual caveats and for the additional fun of trying
not to electrocute yourself while you sit in a puddle of water ;) Be
absolutely sure that the breakers are /off/ before you start, and keep
them off until you've replaced the unit. Test the electric before you
start removing the old unit, preferably with a local tester (don't just
flip the switch and "see what happens").

That said, it wasn't that bad after everything was apart to replace it;
but in my case, I wasn't actually replacing the unit, just taking it out
and putting it back in after shaking the item loose. If you're replacing
the unit itself, you'll have to either make sure you find one with all
the same fittings and clearances or potentially have to add fittings,
which can be a time-consuming pain in the butt.

My recommendation: get a plumber/electrician/GC who is familiar with
replacing disposals.

The average person needs trepanation like he needs a hole in the head. -ca