internetworkers - [internetworkers] Is the FBI bugging out libraries?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Is the FBI bugging out libraries?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:06:09 -0500

Hi,

I'm reading this article with amazement:
http://www.ctnow.com/features/lifestyle/hc-privacy1103.artnov03col.story

"... When the FBI uses a court order or a subpoena to gain access to
library computers or a list of the names of people who have borrowed
certain books, librarians can't tell anyone - not even other librarians
or you. They face a stiff federal penalty if they do. It's unfair that
librarians should be placed in such a position...."

"... However, a new federal law - the U.S. Patriot Act - takes priority
over the state rule and allows the FBI to have easy access to these
records as well as to the computers. ..."

Can the FBI really access libraries records? You know, I'm married to a
librarian. And she always has told me about how private this
information is. And I am also very concerned about losing our precious
freedom.

Even the ALA ( American Library Association) has something to say about
it: http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/usapatriotact.html

Any one can project some light over tihs?

Worried,
Josep
--
Josep Lluis Guallar-Esteve