internetworkers - RE: Blogs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jay Cuthrell <jay AT fudge.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Blogs
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:27:54 -0400

On 23 April 2002 at 05:58PM, Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com> said:
> What did I miss? Was it funny?

Funny? It's a stretch. I just thought it was applicable to the
say "blog" enough thread... and it gets to replace "weblog" or
whatever term is better suited.

Besides, aren't "weblogs" what you parse with Urchin/WebTrends into
happy reports that the marketing people like? And isn't blog just
an obscure logging format for high end computing performance
visualization?
;-)

So, in my funny scenario... since I owe it now...

Scenario: Enough people say JavaScript and eventually they start to
think that it -is- Java. Java was created by Sun so that
means JavaScript was created by Sun as well.

It gets worse or funnier moving to the world of J2EE app servers...

Explaining that a JSP isn't written in JavaScript is something I
have had to explain to clients. Seeing their face light up with
glee at finally understanding... Cost: $500/h

Explaining that JavaScript can be found inside a JSP page tends
to tax the brains of others that just had the JSP is a JavaServer
Page pep talk. Getting them to stop saying JavaScript Pages...
Cost: $400/h

Getting them to stop saying JSP Pages... Cost: $300/h

Explaining that an imbedded JavaScript in the JSP can then feed
back to a service that gives real time information instead of
reliance on parsing "weblogs" to track users.... Cost: priceless.

-Jay