internetworkers - RE: Blogs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Blogs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:54:22 -0400

on Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:38:34PM -0400, Michael D. Thomas wrote:

> > Explaining that JavaScript can be found inside a JSP page tends
> > to tax the brains of others that just had the JSP is a JavaServer
> > Page pep talk. Getting them to stop saying JavaScript Pages...
> > Cost: $400/h
>
> Here's one for you:
>
> Imagine an architecture where a JSP creates an XSL page for transformation
> in
> to a modern HTML page. (I won't comment on the goodness/badness of such an
> architecture.)
>
> In the space of just a couple of lines, you could *reasonably* have 6
> languages: Java, JSP, XSL, XPath, Javascript and HTML.
>
> This could very well be the highest programming language density
> (languages/characters) ever seen since programming began.

Don't forget CSS.

I once worked on a project that used server side includes[1] on an
Apache server[2] to include CSS[3] and JavaScript[4] and HTML[5] into
HTML[5] pages that were generated by a shell script[6] running a perl[7]
script that spoke SQL[8] to a MySQL database to fetch page content that
had been entered using PHP[9] and DHTML[3,4,5] UI logic.

I toyed with the idea of throwing in a couple of TCL apps, just for
maximum density, but sanity won out.