internetworkers - RE: Blogs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Blogs
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:58:51 -0400

on Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 06:57:17PM -0400, Jay Cuthrell wrote:

> Well, at least there are no articles that talked about
> how Sun's Java team created JavaScript... oh wait...
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/04/06/js_history.html
>
> lather. doom. repeat.

Hey, wait a minute. That article doesn't suggest that Sun's Java team
created JavaScript. I know, I wrote the article.

``Rewind to early 1995. Netscape had just hired Brendan Eich away
from MicroUnity Systems Engineering, to take charge of the design
and implementation of a new language. Tasked with making
Navigator's newly added Java support more accessible to non-Java
programmers, Eich eventually decided that a loosely-typed
scripting language suited the environment and audience, namely the
few thousand web designers and developers who needed to be able to
tie into page elements (such as forms, or frames, or images)
without a bytecode compiler or knowledge of object-oriented
software design.

The language he created was christened "LiveScript," to reflect
its dynamic nature, but was quickly (before the end of the
Navigator 2.0 beta cycle) renamed JavaScript, a mistake driven by
marketing that would plague web designers for years to come, as
they confused the two incessantly on mailing lists and on Usenet.
Netscape and Sun jointly announced the new language on December 4,
1995, calling it a "complement" to both HTML and Java.''

What did I miss? Was it funny?