internetworkers - Re: Stopping terrorism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Stopping terrorism
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:40:53 -0400 (EDT)

> If the terrorists own the plane, or charter a private plane, they have every
> right to be there. They wouldn't even be looking suspicious. Does anyone
> check the baggage that is loaded onto private planes?

Privates, no, no luggage inspection, same as nobody inspects what's in your
trunk until you do something wrong. Hell, in some light planes the pilot,
passenger, full fuel, and 2 maps will put you over gross weight limits, and
even the weight limits in light twins (mostly the biggest private planes
seen regularly) are tight.

You can't charter a private plane, technically. Charters are a commercial
activity with a certification process. Luggage inspection falls under the
purview of whoever is providing the charter (local rules for the FBO or
airport authority), and under what part of 14 CFR the charter operation is
certified (14 CFR 121 or 14 CFR 135), which might just be amended in the
near future, a hunch says. I've not read these FARs closely, since I'm
not a commercial pilot. I don't think charter operators usually inspect
luggage, because, well, what terrorist is going to pay over $5000 to
charter a small bomb when for $89 (one way, obviously) you can get a big
one AND free peanuts?