internetworkers - Re: Stopping terrorism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Stopping terrorism
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:54:28 -0400

I can personally attest and some on this list can verify that you can walk
anything through airport security. I routinely carried a large knife in my
camera bag onto planes and in one case coming into the
US from a foreign country I carried a maschete onto a plane.

The real problem is that the airlines and airports are in the business of
moving you from point A to point B for a profit - not security. The security
points at an airport need to be staffed by security experts,
not airports or airlines. The FBI or FAA should have officers manning these
posts. I heard on NPR that security people at airports (X-ray and metal
detectors) have a 100 plus percent turnover rate every
year. How can you have security with that kind of turn over.

As far as airlines and airports go, we have working examples of good
security. Israeli airlines and airports.