internetworkers - Re: collapse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: collapse
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 00:05:36 -0400

David Minton wrote:
> This is a very sticky situation to enter. If it turns out that Osama bin
> Laden is the person we want to prosecute, whose laws do we use?

It is actually quite simple, we use our laws. That's how the embassy
bombing suspects and the 1993 WTC bombers were prosecuted.

If you are overseas but conspire and plan actions which affect
Americans on American soil (or in our embassies), you subject yourself
to our laws and our courts. Even if you personally never set foot in
this country. The courts look to where the intentions are directed and
the effects are felt.

TaB