internetworkers - Re: collapse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: collapse
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 00:36:34 -0400

Very good then. If, by coincidence, an Afghani court produces sufficient
evidence to support a case of conspiracy against you, Thomas Beckett, you
are prepared to stand before their court, even though you have never set
foot in that country. Are you prepared to face their legal system? Whatever
evidence they have does not need to meet your standards, since it is their
laws you are on trial for breaking. Your innocence may not even be a factor
in the conviction.

Sounds strange, but remember, there are Americans in jail in Afghanistan
today facing charges pertaining to distributing Christian literature. I
believe this is a capital crime in that country (at least I believe it is if
an Afghani is convicted, I am not sure about the Americans).

My point is just it seems strange to enforce the laws of one culture on
another. We have been talking about laws, as if they are absolute, and not
relative. We can talk about International law, but the concept is somewhat
artificial. In some ways, it is no more just than military force.

David