internetworkers - RE: carrboro in the n&o

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: carrboro in the n&o
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 12:35:06 -0500

One way for local editors to get filler is to actually report
something. Instead repeating a puff piece on the Carrboro celeb (no
offense), why not an in depth article on what the technology is, how it
works, and why an average reader would care. (Actually, I dropped my N&O
subscription a while back due to lack of interest.) Now that would be
journalism!? Asking too much?

I would love to have read about the technology. I left the piece
wondering what it was all about. This was a soft, features piece that
included going to a few nightspots and collecting some quotations. No
meat, no information on what the "internet businesses" offer to the
local economy, no discussions of the use of the technology, Etc.

Don't write about RTP! There are enough cars coming out here now. We
(low lifes) don't want to attract any more. Don't tell the RTP honchos I
said that! Roger who? (suddenly incognito in RTP).