internetworkers - RE: carrboro in the n&o

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: kirk FZ <frankzoe AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: carrboro in the n&o
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:05:12 -0500

"j. alfred prufrock" wrote:

     <  i've been hearing the greatness of carrboro song for over twenty years

     < ...this carrboro thing does echo the unspoken sentiment among some chapel hill scenesters that they somehow invented the north carolina music scene...

     <  i think chapelboro somehow attracts publicity seekers. it certainly is quite the media factory.

     <  if anything the headline should read "carrboro: finally catching up!"

     <  you couldn't pay me to live anywhere in chapelboro.

     <  it's far too incestuous there for me, what with all the networking that goes on
         trying to reach critical mass for some unspecified social change that will most likely involve listening to lots of electronica and happily
         coding away fourteen hours a day at the spankin new national antihacking startup.

     <  i think xdu regularly blows xyc clean out of the water

     <  i laugh when i read that unc is more artistically oriented. laugh, laugh, laugh.

     <  look what happened to north chatham county when the indy branded it the new "artists' colony."

...sounds like a proud Durham/Duke person...

  I've lived in Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and northern Chatham -- 6 years, 4 years, 2 years, and 1 year respectively.
Previously I lived about an hour south of Pittsboro would visit here any time I wanted to do anything exciting. I love this entire region
and I mourn the rapid growth that swallows the individual character of each of these places, even raleigh/cary.

  Personally, I would choose to live in northern Chatham over Carrboro; Carrboro over Chapel Hill; and Chapel Hill over Durham.
I listen to XYC more than XDU, NCU, KNC, & UNC but I like them all.  I don't know what "happened to northern chatham", I find as much
incestuousness in Durham as anywhere, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas have produced more successful bands recently than winston or raleigh,
publicity seems to be the good for anyone seeking business....  it's all going to be one big sprawling city soon anyway, so why don't
we work on keeping it ALL as great as we possibly can, and preserve as much as we can of each suburb's history and character.

"2 cents" kirk schmidt