homestead - Re: [Homestead] Not so fast

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Not so fast
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:06:05 -0500

On Apr 25, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Chris Clarke wrote:

> James,
>
> I agree with much of what you say. However, one very important point:
> Did
> you let them how you feel about this?

In my case, I did. I wrote the following in the minutes after the visit so I
would get it right:

Glenn drove up the hollow on his little off-road vehicle, don't know the
proper name for the thing. I was mowing, drove around the side of the garden
where he had stopped, shut the mower off and walked up to him.

He said something about the path I had mowed, apparently to break the ice. I
said I wanted to hear his side of the story. He said that the family and
Micki (wife) didn't like the sale. (The sale was for his full asking price.)

I said where I grew up a man did not change his mind once he gave his word.
He said, well, that was the way it was for him, too, but sometimes things
change and the family wasn't for it. I said if the family was going to be in
on it, then the time to talk to family was before you gave your word and made
the deal. He looked at me, obviously didn't like what I said, turned his
back, walked away, shouted something unintelligible, got on his rig and drove
off.

And so ended a friendship.

Gene