homestead - Re: [Homestead] Not so fast

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Not so fast
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:27:07 EDT

Chris:

>Some people might simply not understand,

Understand which? That they had given me the wood or that saying so was
tantemount to giving their word and breaking it was a breech of proper
conduct?

The rest assumes you mean the latter.

>> Did you let them how you feel about this?

No. It is neither my place nor disposition to educate someone about the
prevailing culture. Nor is it possible. These are extremely chauvinistic
people who think their "progressive" bias and manner of conduct is the
antidote
to the local people whom they disparage. To this extent: The man of the
pair works as an electrician on fishing boats in the PNW. He flies out of
Tennessee to Washington for three or four week gigs and sometimes comes back
with marvelous stashes of halibut and cod. Best quality I've ever seen. In
two weeks they are sponsoring an all fish cookout and my tribe is invited
as one of the few token locals. I'm sorely tempted by the fish, which I
adore. But we won't go. Her family will be there and they keep up a
constant
diatribe about "these local people" which I can tolerate about five minutes
before I fly off the handle and call them everything but a Child of God.

>> and good communication
> is the best policy.

I don't agree. I am owning that there is no right or wrong here, no good
or bad, but simply a stark cultural difference. Among us when you say
something, that's it, it's your word and if you must per force go against it,
you
do so with downcast eyes, hat in hand, and then you are freely released from
it. In their culture you can make arrangements with people and dismiss
them the next hour (without telling them) if a better offer comes along and
they are fine being on the giving or receiving end of that.

They don't think they are living in a different culture. They think (have
loudly professed) that they are living among degenerates which is evidenced
by the fact that we own guns, casually use the terms "boy", "darling",
"honey" to complete strangers as a proper form of address, and take longer
than
five seconds answer questions.

The people amongst whom I usually deal hold to the idea "faithful in
little, faithful in much". That is, anyone who would affirm a deal with a
few
fence posts or a few armloads of firewood and then renege on their word would
also make a serious and important major real estate deal with you and then
back out of it. Once you find out how different expectations you have, there
is nothing to gain from any transactions with them.

So if I took your advice and pressed the communication with them, they'd
nod in agreement that, yes, I am one of the degenerates "around here" just
like everyone else. And I would disclose to them that they are soulless
yuppie
bigots with no morals.

Neither of us has anything to gain from that.

James</HTML>