homestead - Re: [Homestead] Not so fast

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Not so fast
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 00:15:15 -0400

This is a banner day for the Homestead List...
Gene and James, agreeing...

:)
I also agree...
WORD.

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Apr 17, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

We all figured he, ...., was a man of his word.
I could never emphasize enough how important this is when living long term in a community. . . I'm not out much from not having the wood, most of it firewood but one or two good pieces of cherry that I could have planked. I don't mind not getting it. But I will never view those people the same way again. I know better than to have any business dealings whatever with them because they will view things one way and I another. Neither of us right or wrong, good or bad, but just don't operate on the same planet.

When I was growing up I likely heard "a man's word is his bond," and "if a man's
word is no good, then he is no good," hundreds of times. Like religious dogma for some, it
is firmly embedded in my mind.

Common sense dictates that residents of rural communities require mutual help
and mutual respect. If a man cannot be relied upon to do what he says, then
there is no point in having anything to do with him. Ostracism is not
uncommon.

I've known this man for the twenty years since he moved here. I can only
guess why he went back on his word. Perhaps family pressure leading to
emotional overload. If that is the case my position is that a man consults
with his family before he makes a decision, but once he makes a decision and
announces it to another man, then that is how it will be.

Yes, I am by modern standards chauvinistic about this. Someone has to speak
for a family and with some exceptions I prefer to do business with the man of
the family.

This man blew it. It will cost him.