homestead - Re: [Homestead] Not so fast

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Not so fast
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:11:33 -0700

But it's not a perspective, Chris. It is a set of morals. If someone doesn't understand and live it from the get go, then explaining it to them isn't going to change anything. It is the way you are raised. You don't even have to think about it. You sure don't have to have it explained to you.

And, I don't see many, if any, that would be shocked that you felt that way. They would be offended that anyone dared to question them.

Nope, it isn't a question of communication, it is a question of ethics. You either have them or you don't.

We have a neighbor who *should* have had those morals. He was raised in a community such as James lives in. I mean, I know where the man came from, I know some of his people. He moved out here and decided that the only law, morals, ethics that counted was what he could get for himself. He took and move the survey markers and then cut a driveway on our property. He bragged how he moved the survey markers 30 feet further east onto Sierra-Pacific land. We called him on it on our land and he said "I've got access to a dozer, I'll move it onto my land before I die" and yes, that was a strange thing to say. So, he died and his daughter took over the land. OMG, "b" on wheels. Came in just a rippin' and claims about 12' of our land. Got a surveyor out and, <G> seems that we were off by about 12'. In our favor and the line is 12' more on her side than we had thought. We'd have simply settled for the driveway being moved. So she got her survey, has a bulldozer down at the bottom clearing for a new house and refuses to move the driveway.

Needless to say, talking does no good!

Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>

James,

I agree with much of what you say. However, one very important point: Did
you let them how you feel about this?

Some people might simply not understand, and, when you explain your
perspective, and would be shocked (and ashamed) that their actions caused
this reaction in you.

I"ve been on BOTH sides of this kind of situation... and good communication
is the best policy.