homestead - Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:12:12 -0500

Gerald Brittell wrote:

...... thoughtful words snipped

You are always so kind Jerry...that shouldn't go unappreciated, and it certainly is noticed on my end.

Do we really think we can alter
the course of Earth's natural processes?

The basic processes? maybe not, but certainly the course of results. Look
right now at the oceans, the rivers, the landscape, the soils, the
atmosphere, the flora and fauna, already changed profoundly by human minds
and hearts and choices. Don't you think we may have been underestimating
the influence of man? I think so.

Perhaps we are underestimating the influences of man, but only in the context of our own demise, our own possible extinction due to climate change. The earth itself will definitely go on and new species will fill the void once we are gone. Mammals took hold after the dinosaurs because they were small, warm blooded and could burrow down into the ground. I suspect that insects will flourish again as they reap the benefits of man's plantings and they will help remove the traces of our existence.

If we set our mind to it, we could over
night literally split the planet in two.

How?

I have been told that whether or
not any life exists on earth, in a time much shorter than we have considered
possible, is totally dependent on whether or not those who know what is
occurring do what they know to do and can do. Homesteaders have much to
offer towards the goal that some survive what is coming upon us. Yep,
pretty radically sounding conclusions, and I best keep quiet again.

No need to keep quiet. I do believe, as you apparently do as well, that we as homesteaders have much to offer and will be better able to meet whatever comes down the pike. If there is a nuclear winter of several years, hopefully we know how to hunt, get clean water, save seed and grow what we can, etc. We are pretty resourceful and thrive in bragging on our improvisational skills. We are probably a lot more adaptable than most and will outlast many.
I've always felt like it was my civic duty to try and survive whatever change comes, so I have studied and read about other changes in the past. I have a timeline that I created years ago. I add to it when I hear of new discoveries. It helps put things into perspective. I could never remember those Chinese dynasties, but a quick look at my timeline tells me that the Sung Dynasty happened 1000 years ago, and was concurrent with the Aztec civilization and when the Vikings, the Norsemen, visited North America.
More in line with this discussion is the Clovis Comet, a huge 3 mile in diameter comet or meteor that exploded over North America 13000 years ago that wiped out the saber tooth tigers and the mastodons, as well as all the Clovis cultures across the continent. Anyway, homesteading is the ultimate prep school for disaster survival, whether that disaster is economic, natural, man made, or extraterrestrial.

Bev

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA