homestead - Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:35:22 -0500

From Bev the Sami Geo-freak....I'd be skeptical about the discovery of a
'town' 'under' a glacier. Even if the Earth was warmer than today, the
glacier would be a river, and rivers flood and wash things away, leaving
nothing but debris, and sometimes scouring the Earth. Assuming the
growth and advance of a glacier the way it is suggested, the glacier
would have demolished the 'town', again, leaving nothing but debris and
scouring the Earth as it moved.

I've been working on a heritage piece about my Sami ancestry and
coincidentally, along comes this thread baiting me to post...:)
So having said all of that above, I give you these links, the first of
which talks about Sami settlements and glaciation during Stone Age
times. The second one shows a 'village' on a river in a glacial fjord,
and it is easy to envision a glacier wiping that little town off the
face of the Earth. Norwegian Sami are often called Sea Sami, and they
were semi-nomadic. Other Sami tribes were nomadic herders of reindeer,
and of course, other tribes, like the one my grandfather came from, were
primarily fishermen, but also farmed. Depending on the season and the
terrain, some houses were built of rock, some of earth, some of animal
skins(like tipi's).

http://www.travels-in-time.net/e/norway11arteng.htm

http://www.climatechannel.no/Default.aspx?tabid=1503

I don't know whether or not these settlements are 'towns', but even
today, people have hunting cabins in areas that are distant and remote.
It is easy for me to envision Sami hunting shelters near glaciers or
along the river in the path of river or glacial destruction. They would
need winter shelter in their migrations with the reindeer.
Just a thought...

Bev

Leslie wrote:
I too have searched for it unsuccessfully. My mom saw it on a Public
TV type program, and I heard mention of it on a radio show (that is not biased towards one party or the other, and is often exposes both main party's nonsense.)

.......... When I learned that a town was discovered underneath a receeding
glacier in Norway that clearly tells me that the globe has been this warm before - and it was before the invention of cars and coal
plants.)

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed