homestead - Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Climate-Gate
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 06:43:15 -0800 (PST)

On NIMBY.  I would love to see a law passed that says that energy can not be
transmitted more than 20 miles from the production source (or some such low
size number).  For example - there is a nat gas electric plant here in the
desert where there is very limited water.  The nat gas electric plant has
cooling towers and uses tremendous amounts of water - and is dropping the
regional water table level 1 foot per year now.  The water just evaporates
into the air and doesn't come back as it usually only rains here a few times
a year.  Who gets all this electricity?  Not us!  Not a single KW is sold
here.  Every KW is shipped to California because they are NIMBYs!
Transmitting the electricity that far required a TON of mining operation to
extract copper, spewing tons of diesel fumes into the air, tons of more
contruction emissions to clear paths and erect transmission lines across two
states to send electricity to the NIMBY's.

I just came back from California.  Driving from Phoenix to LA at midnight, I
thought we were getting close to LA because the sky looked like a sunrise in
the western sky.  Nope.  We were more than 100 miles away, yet could see all
the city lights.  From there I drove to San Diego, again at nighttime,,,
practically a solid sea of lights the entire coast line from LA to San Diego.
Lights from electricity shipped to them from 2 states away - so they can
pretend they are "green" while negatively impacting the environment of some
other community far far away.  Lights turned on while sleeping.  Liights
turned on at 2am in skyscrapers where workers have gone home.  Lights
lighting up streets where no one is driving, and where cars have headlights
to light the way anyway. What hipocracy.

People need to put their actions where their mouths are and start turning off
the lights, including the city street lights.  They need to either stop
purchasing or start unplugging all those little electronic gadgets that have
LED readouts on them or on standby with remotes (5 watts an hour x 24 hrs a
day x 30 days a month.... x how many in each household?)

Governments can tax people all they want and send the money to 3rd world
countries so they can develop and turn their lights on and purchase energy
from the energy producers.... but that will not change a damn thing.  It has
to start with individuals turning OFF their wasteful energy use habits.

The energy source with the least amouont of impact is solar on each
individual property.  There are no transmission lines needed (except from
panels to building).  That alone reduces the amount of mining for dwindling
resources.  There is no need to cut down trees for power lines.  There is no
need to waste a ton of fuel for construction.  (Fuel is needed for shipping
panels, etc initially).  There is no need to replace old power poles, or
erect them again and again after hurricanes or earthquakes or wildfires.

For all people who believe the earth is warmer because of man (even though
the evidence is coming out that the research allegedly proving man caused the
globe to warm as opposed to normal natural cycles of sun, etc was fabricated
on a massive conspiratorial level) . then start right now with putting money
where mouth is.  Stop consuming energy at the personal level, and produce the
energy needs on your own property instead of purchasing it from production
sources in other states.  (What isn't in dispute is in some parts of the
globe that temps have risen,  the dispute is whether it is man or a natural
cyclical phase.  When I learned that a town was discovered underneath a
receeding glacier in Norway that clearly tells me that the globe has been
this warm before - and it was before the invention of cars and coal plants.)

Another significant trend coming up just over the horizon that will impact us
also at the energy level - Mexico's Cantarell Field.  Miexico will soon (next
couple of years) have to face a choice - continue exporting oil and deny
their own people access to oil - or to stop exporting so their own people can
have oil.  Mexico is a major supplier of oil to the US.  Last year's high gas
prices (diesel hit $5 in Texas in 2008) may very well turn out to be the fat
lady just clearing her throat before really starting to sing, as depletion
rates are on the rise.

The world is nothing but a bunch of NIMBYs!  Reminds me of the kids when
they were little and the finger pointing.  Everything was someone else's
fault and the culprit always turned out to be "who me, I didn't do
anything."

Lynda