homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:55:27 -0400

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Thanks, Bev. What kind of bacteria? Will distillation take out the bacteria?

Well, yeah, but that just might be overkill, not to mention expensive. It is good, though. At the very least, they could put a charcoal filter on the well, that would help reduce the smell. You can look at different type systems here:

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/well-water-systems.html

You realize that the water is still 'safe' to drink, just odoriferous.
You can learn more about them here:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/waterquality/hydrosulfide.html

They call this water "gyp water" locally, and on diagrams of the aquifer it is labeled "saline water." Someone else told me it was a gas that would eventually play out. Another person said I could add garden lime to take the sulfur out and make it drinkable.

no, there are easier ways

Since it hasn't been
tested (our neighbors are using it for their ponds and lawn) we will likely add chlorine. All I can say is when I boil it on the stove for dishes it leaves a whole lot of sediment behind.

It needs a sediment filter, too, then.
You can buy sediment filters with charcoal at Home Depot. If the 'sediment' is really scale, then you might want to soften the water.

Since it is not your well, you are kind of SOL.

Everything I can think of that might help YOU involves you getting a tank. My latest wacky idea was to put charcoal in a pillow case and toss it in the tank, after a bit of bleach, of course...LOL...

Bev
--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA