homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:11:09 -0400

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:

For the past two months our pioneer hand dug well has been dry. Our river shriveled to 2 feet wide and 4 inches deep. A neighbor drilled a deep, $15K sulfurous well and has passed a hose through the fence. Our 10 year old apple trees died. My husband built an outdoor shower and we are beginning to smell like rotten eggs. I carry 5 gal buckets to the animals and house to flush, wash dishes, and clothes by hand. We buy drinking water at the store. This is exhausting, expensive and not in our budget. We have assembled the supplies to build a solar water distiller. Water has almost become a full time job. Recently we've had 10 inches of rain, but the well is still dry because it has not fallen in our recharge zone.

Sage, the sulfurous smell is from sulfur producing bacteria in the well. It could be in the lines, but since it is a new well, it is probably in the well. They can treat the well with bleach and that will help. Additionally, you could build a platform and put a 300 gallon tank on it. You could use their water to fill the tank a little at a time, then treat the tank yourself. The tank could gravity feed for your shower.
Just an idea.

Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA