homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 21:21:24 -0400

Sounds like your garden is still being pretty productive, Bev. I wish I'd
kept a couple of tomatoes, but it was best to just get the whole thing in a
cover crop.
I took James' advice on potatoes and just dug them I probably should have
dug closer to the beginning of Sept., a few spuds had started to grow. I put
a few bins of potatoes up under the house. I'll be eating potatoes.

Picked lots and lots of peppers. Hot and sweet. I might put up a few jars of
the hot ones. Also, might make a big batch of stuffed peppers and freeze
them. I've got lots of sliced peppers frozen for cooking.

Frost here will be in the next two weeks, last year I got my cover crop in
late and it did not do well. This year I wanted to get a good cover to plow
down.

Working is tough when you are trying to homestead. The good thing about
starting to work now is that you will be used to it by spring. I've got a
routine down, it's tough at times, but doable.

Rob - Va