homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 19:50:19 -0400

> > I've dumbed down my
> resume (took off my MLS and BA...they are a detriment in a really rural
> area) for every other minimum wage job, but there are few jobs, and at 53 I
> can't even get an interview.

I found here that I needed to dumb down the resume. I changed my last job
from "Director" to "Tech". Got a friend that used to work for me to say he
was the "Director" and give me a reference.

I lessened my salary in my past jobs to make it more like local wages for
the job I was looking for. I'm 49 and hope I can hold on to this job until
I'm done working for someone else. I sure don't like the idea of
interviewing at my age. At least I got the first slacker job. If there is a
next one, it will be easier. I broke in.

Believe me, hiring managers don't want to hear that you sold your city house
and moved to the sticks and your homestead is now your passion :>)

I spent today closing out the garden for the most part. Planted it to a
cover crop. I'm really thinking about just putting half of it to a green
manure crop next June after I plow this one in. Smaller, more productive,
more intense, better managed garden. That's the plan now, anyway.

I also cut the last little piece of sudan grass green manure crop today.
It's just a small piece, maybe 1/4 acre. I'm going to plant it lightly to
rye and crimson clover. Then frost seed some yellow clover into it. Bee
pasture experiment. Any ideas for other seeds I can plant with the clover?

This year was mixed. I've got a plan now, grass is the center focus of this
place. I've still got a few areas to work on, have my field for oats and
peas that I'll plow up in February or March all layed out in my mind.

I put an acre and 1/2 to pasture grass this fall and another acre to rye.
I'm thinking about frost seeding some pasture grass on that piece this
winter to see if I can get the grass to grow under the rye.

Anyway, it's good to have a plan. It's good to be in the fall season. I'm
looking forward to kicking back just a little bit here in a couple of
months.

Rob - Va
Rob - Va