homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:41:44 -0400

Bev; I sure can relate, even though my life is, in some ways, opposite of yours. When I got my MLS, Drexel's School of Library Science was becoming the School of Library and Information Studies (today I think they've dropped the Library part entirely)...my studies were actually in information storage and retrieval, research, and technical writing. This was pre Internet browsers...computer searches were tedious to say the least, requiring logging in to specific databases and using Boolean arguments, and programming classes used punch cards.

I worked in the field of technical writing, and specialized in manufacturing control systems (software that controls inventory, scheduling, capacity control, CAD, etc.)...I took classes and got industry certifications and everything. I edited a newsletter for McGraw Hill, and wrote editorials and reviews...I was an "industry expert" (gag). A lot of my work was reviewing manufacturing control systems for the Aerospace industry, and I could barely keep up with the regulations when I did it full-time; now I'm hopelessly out of touch. Then I quit to freelance for a couple years, then the kids came (my first was when I was 37, my second at 40), then we moved to the country.

No one here wants/needs technical writers. Even the simplest technical writing jobs are sent overseas (read any instruction manuals lately; they are barely in English, but nobody cares)

I feel like the 'career' part of my life is done, and I've moved on. It was rewarding, but stressful, and I don't want to go back. The 'mothering' part of my life has eased up a lot...the kids don't need me until they need a ride to/from somewhere (or need money). The 'farmer' phase of my life didn't really pan out, so I'm sort of at loose ends right now. Sitting home raising vegetables, while nice, isn't enough. I need money and I need to be involved in something bigger than my farm. I just haven't found it yet. If I had non-technical writing skills, I could sit and bang out romance novels or something....I've never had any trouble filling page after page with any kind of nonsense required, but I don't have a good style for fiction.

By the way, I find that I don't 'retain knowledge' as well as I used to, but I think better than I used to. I problem solve and think things through better. I can always go back and find the bit of information that I can't remember.

Lynn Wigglesworth