homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 08:38:07 -0500

Thanks, Gene, I'll check it out.

We are still dry. Even after 12 inches of rain. Lots of folks ask how this can be. I have several theories, and it's possibly a combination.

We live on top of rock, and our soil is 3"-12" deep. When it rains the soil and plants absorb what they can and the rest runs into the river. Our pioneer hand dug well penetrates this rock and goes either into a pocket of the aquifer or into alluvial gravel. Either it hasn't rained within the aquifers recharge zone so that the rains can make it down the fault lines into the aquifer, or the river is still too low for the alluvial gravel to have flow. And lastly a subdivision has been built uphill/upstream from us and I'm wondering if those wells have taken up what used to flow to us.

After two months of outdoor showering in the neighbor's hydrous sulfate water my skin is feeling about 100 years old! I don't know what else is in the water, but my skin feels like it is sunburned. The only benefit I can see to smelling like a rotten egg is the bugs don't want to bite me anymore LOL! People have told me if I let it sit and outgas the smell will go away, but I've tried that and it only gets much worse as it sits. I see no point in scraping up $15K like the neighbor did to drill a well to such putrid water. We would much rather spend the money to install a rainwater harvesting system.

Yesterday I contracted a bottled water company to start delivering 5 gallon bottles because I'm tired of multiple runs to the stores and lifting so many smaller ones. I'm just going to start warming this stuff and taking 'spit baths' as the weather cools.

Gene, my biggest concern--should we not build a ferrocement tank--is using a tank made of plastic. I know they are considered food safe, but so are the majority of plastic drink bottles that are now proving to be carcinogenic. How many of you out there on the list use large plastic water tanks and do you have any fear of them leaching or causing health issues?

We are considering buying one soon and starting to catch rainfall for bathing. They are predicting a moist fall, and it seems to be happening.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas & dry as a bone