homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 21:01:52 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:

I spent today closing out the garden for the most part. Planted it to a
cover crop. I'm really thinking about just putting half of it to a green
manure crop next June after I plow this one in. Smaller, more productive,
more intense, better managed garden. That's the plan now, anyway.

I also spent the day in the garden, tearing down tomato fences and cages, filling my raised beds, picking peas, okra, beans, tomatoes, peppers, and the last two eggplants. One more gallon of beans for the freezer, and a mess of beans on the stove for supper tomorrow. I'll probably get a few more quarts of tomatoes or salsa or whatever, just got a few plants left. Our first frost date is usually Halloween or around the first week of November. I expect that I will have beans and okra right up until frost.
I weeded around the few brassicas I have. I have a couple of plants of Brussels sprouts, a few broccoli, cabbage, collards and kale. A rabbit decimated about half of what I planted, but I suppose it is just as well since I won't be home to weed it.
I dug up and moved a couple of blueberry sprouts today as well. I really should have waited another month or so, but I was worried that I would not have the time as we are fast losing daylight and I won't be home until after 6:30 or so. I still need to dig up a fig for a friend, and I intend to cut back the figs this year. They are about 20 feet tall and on a slope. It is much easier to pick figs if they are on a bush than a tree, so I cut the trees back every couple of years. This will be the third time to cut them back to knee high.
Mostly today was about cleaning up tomato vines, clearing weeds and vines, and putting up the t-posts, cattle panels, cages, and the other stuff used to clutter up the garden. I can't plant a cover crop because I only have spaces here and there open. I should have planted my oats a few weeks ago, but I just can't pull out the beans when they are still producing so well.
I did pull up my peanuts. I had a little plot about 8x10 planted. It was originally more than that, but the moles/voles and squirrels stole some of my seed nuts. I'll let them dry a few days, then I will remove them from the vine/plant. It is hard to estimate actual yield. I think I will have enough for a jar of peanut butter though. :)

I also cut the last little piece of sudan grass green manure crop today.

I also finished off my sorghum, saving all the remaining seedheads.

It's just a small piece, maybe 1/4 acre. I'm going to plant it lightly to
rye and crimson clover. Then frost seed some yellow clover into it. Bee
pasture experiment. Any ideas for other seeds I can plant with the clover?

Buckwheat

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA