homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Update

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Update
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:43:18 -0800

Having a frost that late would be a joy. The garden is done, the frost was 4 days ago. They are already talking snow and Saturday there was snow a little higher up in the Alps.

I'm not pleased with this property. The soil sucks <g> However, the main problem is the local realtors. They are actively advertising property up here as being ideal "gardening for your 215s" (marijuana). The place is now crawling with growers and illegals. You can hear the guns and dogs nightly. Folks are moving out of the Trinity Pines in droves, that is if they can find a buyer.

We will probably put this place on the market in the spring. Hey, we have what the "growers" want, big time, and what is rare in this county, PLENTY of water. 12 acres two properties over, no power, no well, no septic, NO deeded access sold for $90,000! Plus we also have state deeded water rights to divert creek water for a pond. And, for the "in" growers, we are one of the few properties that can be certified organic <g>

So, unless they put the growers out of business two properties over, we're out of here! At least I can take my "raised beds" with me <g>

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.

I also spent the day in the garden, tearing down tomato fences and
cages, filling my raised beds, picking peas, okra, beans, tomatoes,
peppers, and the last two eggplants. One more gallon of beans for the
freezer, and a mess of beans on the stove for supper tomorrow. I'll
probably get a few more quarts of tomatoes or salsa or whatever, just
got a few plants left. Our first frost date is usually Halloween or
around the first week of November. I expect that I will have beans and
okra right up until frost.