homestead - Re: [Homestead] cap & trade

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] cap & trade
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:30:49 -0800

People with antibiotic-resistant TB aren't supposed to be allowed into the country to begin with. Those with it should be shipped back to where ever and let that country pay for the treatment!

I don't think anyone has any idea the BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars and the hundreds, probably thousands, of U.S. citizens with antibiotic resistant TB in this country because of the big "ship all the Vietnamese" here push after the Vietnam War. I wonder how many folks know that the Vietnamese (Thai, etc.) were automatically given full welfare payments, no share of cost Medicaid, put up in new housing projects build just for them and given a car. The elderly were given Social Security. The kids of college age were given full-boat scholarships. I wonder how many folks know how many people lost their homes under emminent domain so the land could be used to build those apartment complexes!

California was one of the main sites for the dumping of these "refugees." It nearly ran this state bankrupt back then.

As to the employers. That law is already on the books. It is time we enforced the laws we already have.

If big ag, etc., needs workers that bad, then there should be a guest worker program. AND the anchor baby law should be removed from the books. Big biz doesn't want a guest worker program because they don't want to pay minimum wages and SS and unemployment taxes and workers comp insurance, etc.

IF the Shiny Thing *really* wants change, then he needs to stand up and enforce the laws we already have. Either that or sit down, shut up and ride out his term!

Lynda
-- "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

In the end, I'm not so sure that making sure non-citizens don't have
health insurance is a smart idea. Personally, I'd like to make sure
that all people who are infected with antibiotic-resistant TB or the
most recent plague (let's say that H1N1 does mutate into something
really virulent, for example). Cutting these people out of the health
care delivery system will seem penny-wise and pound-foolish if an
epidemic hits the country.

We could cut the flow of undocumented workers into this country if
employers were penalized for hiring them, but that's not going to
happen so long as big business and big ag need cheap labor.

Furthermore, many people are underinsured, dealing with
pre-existing conditions or limited policies that would not cover things
like mental health care or addiction treatment or dental care.
Something needs to be done for self employed people, and we need to
really scale back the paperwork and cut the beauracracy in healthcare.

Not making reasonably priced health insurance available to freelancers
and small businesses has hurt this country badly. I worked as a
freelancer for years until Jim needed health care that he was only
going to get if I got a job with a large company or the state. I know
I'm not alone because I live in a farming community where every farm
wife has a job with the state or with one of the big hospitals so the
family will have insurance. For many the commute is long and the kids
go into daycare so mommy can work.

Alot of emergency
care could be eliminated with better education, with parents making
better decisions about their children, perhaps by taking them to a free
or scaled clinic staffed by volunteers instead of to the emergency room
where they charge you for the pillow you lay on.

I agree wholeheartedly with both of those ideas. The penultimate time
I took Jim to the ER, we'd sat around for an hour or so (he was in
moderately severe congestive heart failure) when Jim nudged me and
said something to the effect that we were in the wrong place. Why? I
asked. Well, he said, we didn't stop and get our French fries and
giant cokes before we came in. Darn, if he wasn't right: most of
population of the waiting room were huge fat (I'm talking your basic
300-hundred pounder, minimum), and they all had giant cokes and French
fries. Mostly, their kids were little and still normal size -- hadn't
had a chance to fatten up yet. Nobody looked to be acutely ill, but I
suppose Jim didn't either, except for the funny color of his skin and
that he was gasping for breath.

I think everyone in
this country should be able to have some kind of insurance. I just
don't think it is right that some pay for all...

We have to change the present system if we want to change that. The
most common number I've seen is that paying for the uninsured adds
about a thousand dollars a year to health insurance premiums.

I apologize for being a smart ass in my other post. Don't take it
personal. I'm just punchy because I don't know where my kid is. He was
in the Samoan region a few days ago ...

Oh damn! I'd be punchy too. I guess no news is good news in this case,
but I can imagine that waiting is not fun. To say the least.

Marie, sending good thoughts out to you and your son