homestead - Re: [Homestead] solar

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] solar
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:33:24 -0500

You will find that resistive loads (heating, cooking) and big power loads
(Air Conditioning) get expensive fast with solar.

For refrigerators and freezers that need constant power, start with the most
efficient you can find. Size the battery bank to hold for as many days as
you expect to be without sun then size the array accordingly. It will get
expensive. And always keep in mind that a Watt you do not use is one you do
not have to buy.

For starting out you may want to do the small loads first and work your way
up as you can afford it. Solar is the more expensive way to generate
electricity, wind power is cheaper, and hydro cheaper yet.

I have 250 Watts of solar panels on the trailer and 220 AH battery bank.
With the refrigerator on Propane I can go about a day and a half with no
sun.

Don Bowen KI6DIU
New ruralize pages, follow the link off http://www.ruralize.com