homestead - Re: [Homestead] solar

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] solar
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:31:01 -0700 (PDT)

I would also like to hear from Don on any tips he has on solar.

After I go to the college class, I will be posting any things I learned "in
plain english" that I think will be helpful.  I find that what I find on the
internet, the way it is written doesn't quite "click" with the way I think
and process info.

There is a neighbor to me that is 100% off grid, the entire house, one of
those small igloo shaped homes.  The wife couldn't tell me about the system,
and the hub is out of the country until next year.   He built and installed
the whole system.

I do see they have solar panels mounted on a wooden structure, that
apparently encloses the batteries, and possibly the well pump or water
storage tank(s).  They also have a small wind generator attached to this
building.

Of course in the desert, we have lots of wind and sun.