homestead - Re: [Homestead] solar

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] solar
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:15:47 -0500

> So Don any idea how many watts could be built for the money he's talking
> about ( 200 bucks)

I have not looked at the sites noted. Solar cells are not that expensive
but the structure can be. You need a solid surface to mount the cells. A
heat conductive surface would be better as cells degrade as heat increases.
You also need a clear surface over the cells to protect them from hail and
rain damage.

> or so ... how many batteries does it take for your 220 AH battery bank ?
> and

Two T-105 6 Volt batteries in series store 220 Ah and deliver 12 V. For
best life batteries should be kept to less than 50% State of Charge so a 220
Ah bank can safely deliver 110 for maximum battery life. Also maximum
charge and discharge rates should be observed.

> do you store them inside or outside ?

They are mounted in plastic boxes behind the propane tanks on the trailer
tounge.

> given the fact that I have 100 feet of metal roof oriented east and west
> which gets probable 8 hours direct sun,
> I shouldn't have any problem having plenty of room for panels should I ?

For maximum power the panels should be at right angles to the sun in az and
el. Best orientation is no more than 15 degrees off true south. Tilt angle
also chances over the course of the year. For calculation six hours is what
most use because the angle of the sun changes over the course of the day.

Auto tracking mounts are available but the cost would be better spent for
more panels.

This is a good site to see what sun angles your site will receive over the
course of the year.

http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.php

Don Bowen KI6DIU
New ruralize pages, follow the link off http://www.ruralize.com