homestead - Re: [Homestead] Defund ACORN act

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Defund ACORN act
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:48:58 -0800

I don't know why they went to all this trouble. ACORN is a 501(c)3 and all they have to do is pull the 501(c)3 as they have broken several of the laws governing such corporations. One would think that a bunch of lawyers would have some inkling of the non-profit laws.

The law specifically states that a 501(c)3 cannot be "an action organization" (attempt to influence legislation), nor may it "participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates."

No 501(c)3 and no Federal money AND no more donations as folks can't write them off their income taxes.

Geez Louise, I'm only a paralegal. Do I have to go to DC and teach Harvard and Yale grads what the heck the law is? O.K., so I cheat <g> I also did grant planning and was the fiscal administrator of federal grants. I probably know more about 501(c)3s than most of the Congressboobs.

At anyrate, in 1954, Lyndon Johnson puts the language in that says 501(c)3's may "not participate in, or intervene in any political campaign . . ." The 1969 Tax Reform Act went further and stated they would loose their status as tax exempt and have to pay 10% tax on any expenditure plus a penalty of 100% of said expenditures that had to do with campaigns. 1987 law states that the organization can never become a 501(c)3 again OR a 501(c)4. Plus, not all that long ago, Clinton added language to the tax code about just this sort of thing.

So why isn't the IRS just dealing with this. Over and done with.

WE DO NOT NEED MORE LAWS! We simply need to enforce the ones we already have!

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

"Overly-broad language used by lawmakers intending to pull government
funding for community organizing group ACORN may have the unintended effect
of forcing the government to also pull funds from much of the
military-industrial complex, a Tuesday report revealed."

http://rawstory.com/blog/2009/09/could-acorn-defunding-bill-strike-military-industrial-complex/

Companies that could be affected include Lockheed Martin, Northrop Gumman,
and Blackwater. It will be interesting to see how they amend the bill to
punish some lawbreakers but not others.

The text of the bill is here:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3571/text