homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ah, the Simple Life

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ah, the Simple Life
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:10:26 -0800

One of the other biggie visitor type places in DC went to organic lawn care and their costs went from over $200,000 a year to something like $20,000. DH says you just have to be more vigilant for things like grubs and moths. Actually, he didn't say "more vigilant," it was more along the lines of paying attention and lazy arses <g>

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

Well, that's true...it would be more like 'transitional organic'. I
appreciate Michelle Obama's effort; we can't help what the previous tenants
of our property did :-)

My city garden was a toxic nightmare...they tore down the house that had
been there and buried it in the basement, lead paint and all. The only
'soil' I could get lots of for free was Phillymulch...composted sewage
sludge. It grew beautiful plants, but who knows what was in it. The theory
was that the organic material in the compost bound up some of the bad
stuff...I don't know if it's true, but I'm so glad I'm not raising veggies
there anymore. .

I hope the White House goes to organic lawn care soon. I'd rather see a few
weeds and have them encourage less use of lawn chenicals.

Lynn Wigglesworth