homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ah, the Simple Life

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ah, the Simple Life
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:14:00 -0400

You can't have an organic garden if chemicals have been used on the land.

Well, that's true...it would be more like 'transitional organic'. I appreciate Michelle Obama's effort; we can't help what the previous tenants of our property did :-)

My city garden was a toxic nightmare...they tore down the house that had been there and buried it in the basement, lead paint and all. The only 'soil' I could get lots of for free was Phillymulch...composted sewage sludge. It grew beautiful plants, but who knows what was in it. The theory was that the organic material in the compost bound up some of the bad stuff...I don't know if it's true, but I'm so glad I'm not raising veggies there anymore. .

I hope the White House goes to organic lawn care soon. I'd rather see a few weeds and have them encourage less use of lawn chenicals.

Lynn Wigglesworth