homestead - Re: [Homestead] who's the liar?

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] who's the liar?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:56:52 -0400

From what I've read, the estimates now seem to be between 60,000-800,000,
with most on the lower end and Freedomworks (the main sponsor) at the high end. Except Glenn Beck; I heard him on youtube saying that he had "a University", but he doesn't remember which University, study the pictures, and they said 1.7 million. As far as I can tell, there have been no 'official' estimates.

I like reading blogs; they often have the first and best information, but I verify everything before I even think about believing it. There are SO many blatant lies on blogs...one person says something, 100 repeat it, so it must be true.. I followed many estimates of the crowd size all over the internet, and see the exact same wording on site after site, telling me that they all picked it up from the same source...many came from a tweet by someone named Tabitha Hale, who first said that ABC estimated the crowd at 1.5 million; repeating that falsehood got a lot of people, including Michelle Malkin, in trouble. And I repeatedly saw the same 'story' about "Park Police spokesperson Dan Bana" saying 1.8 million...a Park Police spokesperson David Bana estimated the crowd at 1.8 million...for the inauguration, NOT for this rally. Research is what I'm trained to do, and it's a fun break from diggin in the dirt and mowing down weeds to track these facts down.

That photo from the Promise Keepers rally was on many blogs, like http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2009/09/12/912-march-on-dc-teaparty-highlights/ in fact, it's still there. The irony of that site is that it's fighting "leftist propaganda", with fake pictures.

I usually watch ABC news, but I don't watch on weekends, so I don't know what their coverage was like. It looks like rain, even though it's not SUPPOSED to rain, so I've got to get my hay under cover...I've learned to never cut more than I can spread out to finish drying on the barn floor!

Lynn Wigglesworth