homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chit chat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chit chat
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:41:50 -0400

It poured here today. I bet we got 2 inches of rain. It has stopped for the time being.

You may recall that I bought a book called Putting Up while I was on vacation. Today, I made the Charleston Gumbo and canned 5 quarts of it. I figure that's enough. How often do you eat gumbo? I may make another batch if the tomatoes hold out. I'm tell ya, I'm not all that fond of gumbo but this stuff is good!
I also pickled a few jars of okra, and right now I am cooking down what I call 'Homemade Rotel', a mix of tomatoes and peppers that I can add to cheese for a dip, or to meat for extra flavor, etc.

It is a good day for canning.

Bev

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

I usually watch ABC news, but I don't watch on weekends, so I don't know what their coverage was like. It looks like rain, even though it's not SUPPOSED to rain, so I've got to get my hay under cover...I've learned to never cut more than I can spread out to finish drying on the barn floor!

Lynn Wigglesworth

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA