homestead - Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 00:55:49 -0400

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Yum! I prefer jalapenos smoked to fresh, and buy them dry as chipotles

I know James smokes his...
How do you smoke yours, Sage?

to add to sauces. I also make sauces from dried chili anchos, which are poblanos when fresh.

Recipes?

I stuff jalapenos with cream cheese, batter them
with egg and flour, brown them in oil.

Nom nom.

We do cook with the locally native chilipequin which is hot but flavorful--could this be the small pepper you saw? We live in the part of Texas where Mexican Food is "TexMex" but I prefer the cooking of New Mexico. In TexMex jalapenos or serranos are chopped fresh with tomatoes for salsa, and gives you what I call "instant burn". A TexMex green sauce is made mostly with tomatillos.

I've been looking for a different salsa, not too sweet, with a serrano kick, something less vinegar and more salt.

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA