homestead - Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:26:19 -0500

I let them cool completely, as some of the final roasting happens in the bag. If they are small the cooking sheet will help. Texas gets a lot of hatch chilies from New Mexico this time of year and some of the grocery stores roast them for you over a flame in this basket they can crank around like those silly composting units. So you probably could do them over an outdoor grill as well.

--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Ok, they are in the bag, cooling, but I must say that I have to modify
this for the next batch. My poblanos were small this year, like Baby
Bells, and they kept falling through the rack. My thirty year old range
element doesn't broil evenly, so I will need to put the chilis on a
roasting pan or pizza pan so that I can move them around a bit, both in
the pan and in the oven space. Do they have to cool completely, or just
cool enough to handle?

Has anyone else had a problem with peppers this year?

I'm growing Anaheims, Serranos, and Poblanos.
I've had low yields and low fruit size, small to medium plants. It is
not a lack of rain, but maybe a lack of heat? This has been the coolest
summer I can remember. I'm not sure we even hit 95, let alone 100 this
year. The humidity has been lower, too. It has been overcast and
cooler, almost tolerable.<g> Very odd. Reminds of the IceAgeNow guy,
what's his name... Oh well. Robert Felix author of Not by Fire, But By
Ice. Yeah.

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Bev, we broil them in the oven (or toaster oven) until the skins
start getting browned, then put them in a paper bag and close it up
and let them cool in there. Once they are cool, we run them under
cold water and the skins come off. If you can find a way to brown
them all around on a stovetop, I suppose you could just follow the
rest of the steps. But if they don't get even heat the skins may only
come off of parts.

--Sage Way Out in Texas with a Bone Dry Well

EarthNSky wrote:
I've got some poblanos that I want to stuff, bake and freeze for
later. Don't I need to skin them, and if so, do I recall that this
can be done directly on the flat burners of an electric stove? If
so, if anyone has cooked peppers to skin directly on the stovetop,
I'd like to hear about your experience. Tips? Directions?