homestead - Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:41:16 -0500

Thai peppers must be a 13 on the Scoville scale of 1-10! They are deadly and always hiding where you don't expect to bite into one. This same friend took me out for Thai soup called something like Tom Yum Gum? And every time I took a bite there was something you weren't supposed to eat in it...lemon grass stalks, lime leaves, HOT peppers. I learned it's best just to drink the broth part of soup in Thai restaurants.--Sage

Leslie wrote:
OMG !!! I think her mother might have been working at a Thai food resturant
I went to one time. I ordered mild for the soup, and after one spoonful, same
thing, almost fainted and was completely unable to eat anything.

I can't do the habaneros or scotch........

OK,,,, so I have picked the jalapenos at the fresh eating stage.... just dry
them in the sun like tomatoes?
between screens? It's that simple? Cool. Will do that with the ones picked
today !

I made up a beef jerky marinade today, and will be marinading meat tomorrow.
I think I'll throw some of the jalapenos in and try smoking a few in there at
the same time.

Hmm, will try that stuffed Jalapeno recipe also and see if that is a way to
make some of them
disappear.......

I think they dry the peppers in the sun, just like tomatoes. I use a dehydrator. Definitely not on the bush. They are sort of leathery not crumbly when ready.

You will also see chilipequins spelled chilipetin, and many other ways. We have a "forest" of them in the understory of our dry creek. I pick them when they are red and put them in small jars covered in white vinegar and use the vinegar just like you would tobasco or "sport pepper sauce" (how it's sold around here--I've never known how the word sport works into it) such as on cooked greens or a dash to spice up a soup. I will cut 1-3 of them up (fresh) and add it to a dish. They are 10 on the Scoville scale (1-10) but I can handle them in a way I cannot handle habanero or scotch bonnets, also 10's.

A funny story: One time a friend's mother was visiting. Like me, she loved hot food and put her pequins up in vinegar (she reused a caper bottle). Her mother insisted on cooking an Italian dish for us. Little did we know she would mistake the pequins for capers!--after a while the red goes to brown, so they look more similar. We took one bite of the stuff and nearly fainted! She had dumped at least 50 of them into the pasta! Needless to say, it all went in the compost and we ordered a pizza. Ha!

--Sage

Leslie wrote:
Geez, hot peppers don't make me feel cooler, my head sweats and I have to put
an ice cube in my mouth....
I haven't had too much of the NM dishes,,, the ones I have had I haven't been too impressed with. But that is only 3 times somewhat local. I've just been looking up recipes and cooking up at home,,,, but I do wish I
knew a native Mexican to watch cook a few things, that always seems to be the
best way to learn.
Chilipequin? About 1/2" long, very tiny?
Ah,,,,,,,, ok, I have a ton of jalpenos, smoke them over the BBQ grill??? Similar to the description the other
day? OK, will give it a try and see what happens.
Hmmmm, dried jalapenos.......... ok, what's the "how to do" on that? pick green, or let them dry on the bush?
Yum! I prefer jalapenos smoked to fresh, and buy them dry as chipotles to add to sauces. I also make sauces from dried chili anchos, which are poblanos when fresh. I stuff jalapenos with cream cheese, batter them with egg and flour, brown them in oil.

We do cook with the locally native chilipequin which is hot but flavorful--could this be the small pepper you saw? We live in the part of Texas where Mexican Food is "TexMex" but I prefer the cooking of New Mexico. In TexMex jalapenos or serranos are chopped fresh with tomatoes for salsa, and gives you what I call "instant burn". A TexMex green sauce is made mostly with tomatillos.

In NM they do not put tomatoes into the sauce, it's all chili molino. This is the same dried red chilies you see in decorative ristras. I make this sauce by browning some of the powdered red chili with flour, then slowly adding water. It's great on enchiladas, eggs, whatever. It gives you what I call "slow burn". A NM green sauce is made with hatch chilies.

Isn't it interesting that the hottest peppers all come from hot climates? Maybe to make us sweat so that we feel cooler in a breeze?

Leslie wrote:
Ha ! I just came thru Hatch earlier this week. Had a very late lunch there
and scoped out the roadside stands selling and grilling chilis.
One of the chilis that was for sale was smaller than an acorn, and the lady advised me do not buy it unless I like really really hot. They do roast them in a drum size metal basket that they turn over a fire.
I don't know enough about various Mexican dishes to know which ones to buy. I do have Jalapenos coming out of my ears as I made a mistake and planted 5 plants ----- which are still producing.... and I have canned enough for 10 years at this point. I just picked another 20 and am looking for neighbors who want some, no takers so far.......
I've been amazed at how long they stay fresh in the fridge though, and have been using some of them with a breakfast 'taters, green/red/yellow peppers, onions, garlic mix.
I've heard that hot peppers are good for keeping intestinal worms at bay........