homestead - Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:34:09 -0500

Bev, we broil them in the oven (or toaster oven) until the skins start getting browned, then put them in a paper bag and close it up and let them cool in there. Once they are cool, we run them under cold water and the skins come off. If you can find a way to brown them all around on a stovetop, I suppose you could just follow the rest of the steps. But if they don't get even heat the skins may only come off of parts.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas with a Bone Dry Well

EarthNSky wrote:
I've got some poblanos that I want to stuff, bake and freeze for later. Don't I need to skin them, and if so, do I recall that this can be done directly on the flat burners of an electric stove? If so, if anyone has cooked peppers to skin directly on the stovetop, I'd like to hear about your experience. Tips? Directions?