homestead - Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Skinning chilis
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 22:48:27 -0500

Hatch chilies are the quintessential green chilies used in New Mexican cooking. They look to be a type of Anaheim pepper, and come in mild, moderate, and hot. Everyone calls them hatch after Hatch, NM where they are largely grown. But it's kind of like Coke and Kleenex, we use it generically even if they came from somewhere else. There's even a canned hatch version we buy at the store when the fresh ones aren't available. We buy them fresh, peel and freeze them in bags for future use. The ones I've grown from seed are 'Espanola Improved' and 'Big Jim Numex'.

Yes, a rotisserie basket is what I'm talking about! Leave it to a vegetarian to forget what those things are called. LOL. The ones in the stores and restaurants here are huge though, big enough for a whole pig so to speak. When the chilies come in, they roast zillions of them for the demand. When I'm busy, I just buy them that way, but you still have to take the skins off. I use them in enchilada verde sauce and in egg dishes mostly, but sometimes stuff them like a poblano.

:)

--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
I have no clue as to what a hatch chili might be, but I do think I have
a rotisserie basket somewhere...(as well as one of those silly
composting units<g>) Luv ya Sage. :)

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
I let them cool completely, as some of the final roasting happens in the bag. If they are small the cooking sheet will help. Texas gets a lot of hatch chilies from New Mexico this time of year and some of the grocery stores roast them for you over a flame in this basket they can crank around like those silly composting units. So you probably could do them over an outdoor grill as well.

--Sage